Child Life Program
A trip to the hospital can be traumatic for any child. That’s why Hendrick Children’s Hospital has a child life specialist available to your child. Child life specialists are trained in child development, psychology and other related areas. Child life specialists provide psychosocial and emotional support for children and their families in order to promote a positive experience and nurture your child’s growth and development. They also play a vital role in educating not only children but their family’s caregivers, administrators and the general public about the needs of children under stress.
Benefits of the Child Life Program
- Ease a child’s fear and anxiety with therapeutic and recreational play activities
- Encourage understanding and cooperation by providing non-medical preparation and support for children undergoing tests, surgeries, and other medical procedures
- Advocate for family-centered care
- Engage and energize children and families by coordinating special events, entertainment, and activities
- Consider the needs of siblings or other children who may also be affected by a child’s illness or trauma
- Direct pre-admission hospital tours and resources, and consultations with outpatient families
- Support families confronting grief and bereavement issues
These are the many different ways the child life specialist can help a child who has entered the hospital. If it is scary for an adult, imagine how scary it can be for a child. If you or your family would like any more information on the Hendrick Children’s Hospital or its Child Life Program, please contact 325.670.5954.