Medical Nutrition Therapy
Medical Nutrition Therapy involves an individual appointment with a dietitian emphasizing nutrition in diabetes management. MNT is integral to both the treatment and prevention of diabetes. Studies show diabetes patients who receive additional MNT have a slower progression rate of diabetes and its related complications compared to those who do not receive MNT.
- Nutrition assessment and diagnosis
- Nutrition therapy/counseling
- Meal plan and lifestyle modification
- Additional follow-up contact, as appropriate
A physician or licensed practitioner must refer the patient.
Private pay insurance varies, and financial assistance is available for those who qualify. For more information, contact Ansleigh Mills, MS, RD, LD, CDE at 670.4342 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Covers three hours at 80 percent in the beneficiary’s initial year.
- After the initial calendar year, Medicare covers two hours per year for follow-up at 80 percent.
- A change in diagnosis or medical condition, as determined by a physician, may warrant additional coverage.
- This coverage is in addition to the DSME Program offered at Hendrick. Patients receive the most benefit from attending both DSME and MNT.