For nine decades, Hendrick Medical Center has constantly been there to meet the wide-ranging healthcare needs of the Texas Midwest. From its humble beginnings as West Texas Baptist Sanitarium to today's expansive 500-bed facility, the hospital has grown in size and scope. At the heart of today's campus stands the original five-story building, a nucleus of its earliest brown brick and mortar, around which a steady pattern of growth has matured the facility to ten times its original size. Yet, despite the passing of time and the many changes the years have yielded, the commitment of Hendrick Medical Center and its staff remain the same: to deliver high quality healthcare emphasizing excellence and compassion consistent with the healing ministry of Jesus Christ.
The first unit of the hospital was erected in September 1924 at a cost of $150,000. Motto: "No matter what your belief or creed."
Five stories, 72 rooms and admitted more than 800 patients in the first year
Hot and cold running water in each room, three modern elevators, well-equipped obstetrical department
In 1943, the maternity ward doubled in capacity to meet the needs of the post-war baby boom.
Parker Hall was built in 1958, to accommodate the increasing need for nurses.
- In 1966, the Meek Wing was built to house Meek Children's Hospital, additional space for the nursing school, the blood bank and a medical library.
- Also in 1970, the Emergency Room expanded service to 24 hours, seven days per week. 16,216 patients were admitted in 1970.
- In 1972, the Critical Care Unit opened and Obstetrics was remodeled and renamed "Mothercare."
- The Physical Therapy Department was added in 1974, along with the Hendrick Medical Center Foundation.
- In 1976, it was decided to change the name from Hendrick Memorial Hospital to Hendrick Medical Center, a better representation of the medical services offered to the community.
- In 1987, Hendrick Retirement Village opened and new Cardiac Cath Lab equipment was purchased.
- In 1999, the Shelton Building was dedicated with expanded services of Hendrick Cancer Center and Hendrick Day Surgery.
- Hendrick Express Care celebrated its Grand Opening in 2001.
- In 2002, Pulmonary Rehab moved to its new location.
- Hendrick Trauma Center opened in 2003.
- Also in 2003, Hendrick announced the naming of James and Cynthia Parker wing.
- In 2005, Patty Hanks School of Nursing opened on the Hendrick campus with students from ACU, Hardin Simmons and McMurry.
- Hendrick announced Project 2010 as early as 2008. It would be the largest expansion in the history of Hendrick.
- The cafeteria was remodeled in 2008, and The Archway Cafe was opened, including a room service menu for patients.
- In 2009, Hendrick Health Club was expanded.
- Ground was broken in 2009 for Project 2010.
- Project 2010 ushered in Hendrick Children's Hospital, to include 20 patient rooms with sleep accommodations for parents, two of which are designed to be used for chemotherapy; two play rooms, one for teens, and one for children; two procedure or exam rooms; three Pediatric Intensive Care Units (PICU), with specialized, high-tech equipment for children and special accommodations for parents; two family rooms; an outdoor terrace; and new decor featuring designs from the Berenstain Bears series.
- The Birthplace at Hendrick also grew through Project 2010 and now houses eight Labor-Delivery-Recovery rooms (LDRs), four antenatal rooms for diagnostic tests and monitoring before the baby is born; three triage rooms and one exam room.
- Surgery patients saw new and improved facilities as a result of Project 2010, with 12 operating rooms, two cardiovascular operating rooms, specialized rooms for cysto (urinary) and gastrointestinal (G.I.) procedures, five major treatment rooms and expansive family waiting areas close to the surgery areas.
- Project 2010 offered easier access to visitors with a front entrance canopy for patient drop off and pick up; a lobby addition that included Admissions area, expanded gift shop and public restrooms; an innovative parking structure with an additional 81 parking spaces; and a convenient boulevard drive at the main entrance.
- A physician office building was erected as a component of Project 2010, giving OB/GYNs ready access to the new patient tower.
- Project 2010 included an expanded lab with new equipment.
- Infusion Clinic, part of Project 2010, offered 12 individual treatment areas.
- Project 2010 expanded the ICU waiting area.
- Also, Project 2010 opened a new sterile processing unit for surgical instruments.
- Central Supply was more conveniently located near patient areas through Project 2010.
- In 1935, West Texas Baptist Sanitarium affiliates with the Baptist General Convention of Texas to perpetuate the Christian spirit and mission of the facility.
- With the increase in the number of polio patients in the 1940s, the use of the Iron Lung increased. Students in the School of Nursing were responsible for the maintenance of the machine.
- In 1960, Hendrick expanded services with an X-ray department, monitoring unit for catheterization and an oscillating bed.
- In 1981, the Patient Relations department was added.
- In 1986, Hendrick League House opened.
- In 1988, The First Choice program began; by the end of the first year 2000 members had joined.
- In 1992, Hendrick Heartsaver Network was formed and a Pediatric ICU and Hendrick Center for Extended Care opened.
- Hendrick Center for Rehabilitation was built in 1993.
- Hendrick Health Club and Hendrick Family Health Center were finished in 1996.
- In 2003, Hendrick Women's Health Network launched.
- Also in 2003, Hendrick also launched the first and largest hyperbaric oxygen therapy program in the area.
- 2006 saw the opening of Hendrick Friendship House.
- Hendrick partnered with Texas Tech School of Pharmacy, also in 2006.
- In 2007, Hendrick received the Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care.
- A partnership began in 2007 with Texas Tech School of Nursing to create a second degree nursing program.
- Also in 2007, Hendrick became a Tobacco Free Campus.
- In 2009, Hendrick Health Club opened The Pilates Studio and became a Les Mills Platinum Club.
- Project 2010's new dialysis unit featured 12 patient bays to meet the rising demand of dialysis.
- A new Wound Care Center, also part of Project 2010, was completed with four treatment rooms and space for five hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBO) chambers.
- Pauline May Turnidge was the first baby born at Hendrick, October 17, 1924.
- During the depression of the late 1930s the hospital accepted chickens, goats and black-eyed peas as payment for service.
- In 1936, a generous gift from T.G. Hendrick, a local oil-rich businessman, saved the hospital from financial trouble. He donated money to pay the hospital debts and to build a new wing. The hospital was renamed Hendrick Memorial Hospital.
- Camp Barkley brought hundreds of families to Abilene in the 1940s.
- Also in the 40s, Hendrick Memorial Hospital was awarded a $100,000 governmental grant as a part of the Federal Works Project.
- Dyess Air Force Base was established in the 1950s, bringing new growth to Abilene.
- In 1954, a fund drive was instituted to allow the public to help purchase new equipment for the hospital including new operating room lights, a cardiac defibrillator, operating room cardioscope, oxygen tents, bassinets and suction machines.
- In 1963, the Anderson Wing, named in honor of Minnie Anderson, was completed. The wing provided 84 new rooms, an emergency room, new administrative staff offices and a new clinical lab.
- Drs. Meadows and Mendenhall, surgeons, enabled the hospital to offer reconstructive heart surgery.
- 1970 brought the retirement of E.M. Collier who served as the third Superintendent for 40 years. Boone Powell, Jr. led the hospital through the 1970s.
- Michael C. Waters became the fifth administrator of Hendrick in 1980. He oversaw the expansion of children's services, including a new Labor and Delivery Unit and a new nursery.
- Vera West Women's Center was dedicated in 1998.
- In 2003, Hendrick announced the naming of James and Cynthia Parker wing.
- Tim Lancaster was named Hendrick Health System president and CEO in 2004, only the fifth president in the 80-plus history of Hendrick.
- In 2007, Hendrick won Gallup Great Workplace.
- Hendrick earned Nurse Friendly designation in 2007, now called Pathway to Excellence.
- In 2008, Hendrick again won Gallup Great Workplace.
- Inpatient satisfaction consistently remained in the 90th percentile in the nation in 2008.
- For the third year, Hendrick won Gallup Great Workplace in 2009.
- In 2003, a new P. E. T. Scanner arrived, for improved treatment of cancer at Hendrick Cancer Center.
- Also in 2003, Hendrick was the first in Texas Midwest to use the Angiojet system to remove blood clots in patients with heart attack.
- Hendrick introduced digital mammography in 2007.
- In 2007, Hendrick featured a new 64 slice CT scanner.
- In 2008, Hendrick introduced SmarTrack system to help families more easily follow their loved ones through the surgery process.
- In 2009, CareFusion barcoding system was introduced to streamline lab tests and protect patient safety.
- In 2009, YouLink at Hendrick, our online patient portal, was launched.
- Addition of neurosurgery equipment, such as the BrainLab, in 2009, expanded neurosurgery capabilities for our area.
- In 2012, Hendrick installed electronic medical records and a computerized physician order entry system.